Bex Marshall’s latest album, House of Mercy, reflects both the songs on this record, and the actual name of her home-recording studio-record label-life. She is a noted slide guitar player, who also loves the resonator (dobro) and banjo, and manages to bring in those sounds to a cohesive, roots rock record. I am always interested when a British musician melds what we think of as American sounds into music that becomes its own, rather than being imitative. Marshall’s songs and production combine for a rollicking album, and her reflection on what led to it–heard in this week’s radio program–is worthwhile for anyone seeking a lifetime playing music, or fans who like it real.
- Bex Marshall House of Mercy House of Mercy is not just the title track and album, it’s also the name of the house where Bex and Barry live, their record label and recording studio, radio station and more. Marshall lives a life of music.
- I was not able to find a legal mp3 to purchase of Bex’s “Uncle David’s” band, The Marauders’ minor hit, “That’s What I Want.” I also was not able to confirm whether “Uncle David” is known as “Charlie Harper” of the UK Subs or not. If you have more information, please clarify! I think this is a video for the correct band. I did find a song on a garage rock compilation by a band of the same name, but I cannot confirm if it’s the same people or not. It’s a pretty cool tune, though, and a fantastic compilation. Storm in the Garage on Amazon
- Brigitte de Meyer Rose Of Jericho on Amazon
- Joan Armatrading Greatest Hits on Amazon One of the best British blues vocalists around. I used to listen to “Drop the Pilot” on WRAS Album 88 all the time.
- Hayseed Dixie Nicotine and Alcohol on Amazon Hayseed Dixie are not just the beloved bluegrass covers of AC/DC tunes or tributes to hillbilly love, they are also noted players and the sons of Don Reno, of Reno and Smiley.
- Stevie Ray Vaughn live The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble on Amazon doing “Superstition.” A great example of amazing blues working well with other styles of music.
- Israel Nash Gripka Barn Doors and Concrete Floors on Amazon