I met The Howlin’ Brothers in the parking lot at the Family Wash in East Nashville during Americana Music Festival in 2012. I had seen them a couple of times at the Station Inn, and mistakenly thought they were from North Carolina. As we chatted in the parking lot, Ian Craft told me that they had just finished recording a new album that would be released in the Spring of 2013. Happily for The Howlin’ Brothers, their new album, Howl, had some additional support as the band was signed to Brendan Benson’s label, Readymade Records. With Benson’s direction in the studio and his support for their vision with their music, The Howlin’ Brothers have expanded the sounds they bring to their old time music, but have not strayed from who they are. The band still plays Layla’s Bluegrass Inn and the Station Inn regularly, but they are now able to be on the road more and are a treat to see perform live. When you see them, ask them to dance.
- Howl by The Howlin’ Brothers
- Brendan Benson “What I’m Looking For” The Alternative to Love Benson’s label, Readymade Records, wisely signed the band.
- Joshua Black Wilkins “Woman Like This” Wilkins has taken the photographs for several of our recent album covers, including Sarah Gayle Meech.
- Old Crow Medicine Show Carry Me Back “Steppin’ Out”
- Willie Dixon “Chicago Allstars Boogie”
- Young Hines Give Me My Change “Just Say No”
- Wood & Wire “Mexico”
- Willy Mason “Restless Fugitive”
- Tony Rice Muleskinner Blues “Muleskinner Blues”