Matt Burke of Have Gun, Will Travel has been around the block with label and indie success with his bands over the years. As his previous band saw critical and airplay success, but not a comparable financial reward, his songwriting took a different turn and he forged ahead with Have Gun, Will Travel — initially a solo effort to let the new sounds have a platform, but ultimately becoming a band in itself. HGWT plays extensively throughout the Southeast and will reach much more of the nation this year, with runs joining Shooter Jennings, Railroad Earth, Country Fried Rock alum, Matt Woods and also The Whiskey Gentry, and Radiolucent. Burke is a talented songwriter and the band balances fun, upbeat music with more reflective tracks, not descending too much into SBM that is prevalent in the genre right now. Grab some friends, and go see Have Gun, Will Travel.
Special Edition Podcast
The easiest way to listen whenever you want: our new app.
This podcast includes three songs from HGWT, with express permission of the band. Thank them by buying their music!
Stream or download the free podcast at the bottom of this post, or subscribe on iTunes.
- Have Gun, Will Travel Fiction, Fact or Folktale?
- Have Gun, Will Travel TV Theme is called “Ballad of Paladin,” full instrumental by Duane Eddy (TV version was by “Johnny Western” with lyrics)
- The Whiskey Gentry Holly Grove
- Glossary Feral Fire
- Matt Woods Deadman’s Blues
- The Replacements Pleased to Meet Me NOTE: The song “Alex Chilton” is how I learned who he was and about Big Star, so it deserves credit for my own music discovery and part of our conversation about recording at Ardent Studios in Memphis.
- Magnolia Mountain Town and Country
- Railroad Earth Last of the Outlaws
Stream or download the free podcast, or subscribe on iTunes.